Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Halloween....

if only it weren't 90º!!

For some reason I wasn't really interested in making costumes for the kids this year, even though it is something I usually LOVE to do. Last year's costumes were, in my opinion, so awesome, maybe I was afraid of creating anything less than stellar. So I told the kids that they had to dig through the dress up box for costumes this year. Goodness knows we have enough. Like this. Or this. Even Dominick has pilfered from our dress up box for a costume once. But then Alex and her friend Tessa came up with the idea to be a dead bride and a headless groom. And yes, Alex gets to be the headless groom. We actually found this version at the Halloween store in Canandaigua, but it is only in adult male sizes. So I am trying to make one. Eh. I'll document my progress in case anyone is interested.

So, I can't exactly make one kid a costume and tell the other two to wing it.... so I am now making in addition to a headless groom, an alien abucting a kid for Hudson and a mummy for Ethan. I thought Ethan's would be so easy. I'd just sew strips of gauzy material to white long underwear.... well, try to find long underwear when it is 90º out. No one sells it! I ended up with an off white pair from the girls department at Target. Hopefully Ethan won't realize that the little design in the material are actually hearts!

4 comments:

Kristin Sheller said...

Make my kids a few costumes while you're at it. I am the world's worst stay-at-home mom when it comes to Halloween. I buy costumes from the store and I HATE trick or treating. Bah humbug.

Kristin Sheller said...

But your costumes rock!

Anonymous said...

Thomas was a mummy once and I just wrapped the gauze around him (after I soaked it in tea to make it look old). I didn't do any sewing and it pretty much stayed the whole night.
I won't be making nay headless grooms, but Good Luck!!

Sarah said...

Oh shoot... I meant to dye the fabric with tea. O-well. He'll be a clean mummy. I would just wrap the material around him, but he has to get into his costume at school, so I thought I'd better sew it in place. Today Gabby was my model and I stuck her with a pin. Sorry Gabby! Then when Ethan tried on his costume he said it was too scary! Ugh