Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ethan Likes to Keep Us Guessing....

I volunteer in Ethan's kindergarten classroom on Wednesday mornings. This morning the teacher asked me to stay and chat with her after the kids went to gym. She sat me down and explained that every child was screened at the beginning of the school year for letter recognition. At that time Ethan scored very low (20 out of 54- Why 54? Not 52? Since there are only 26 letters, even if they do both upper and lower case...I'm not sure what the 2 extras are...anyway...) His score qualified him for "services" which would mean he would be pulled from the classroom for extra help. When she told me this I felt very defeated. We had worked really hard on his letters this summer. Then, 2 weeks later his teacher screened him again. This time he scored 50 out of 54 and is now near the top of his class in this area. What gives???? His teacher thinks that it took him a few weeks to get comfortable in school and settle in. I think that the letters simply and finally "clicked" with him. Whatever the reason- he sure keeps things interesting!!

***********************************************************

The other day I overheard Ethan talking to a little friend of his while we waited for Hudson to finish his dance class. He was telling him, "First you die. Then your skin falls off. And then you are a skeleton!" He paused and added, just for good measure, "Oh, and Jesus is the son of God." The mom of the little boy chuckled and said, "I thought this was a non-denominational dance studio."

No comments: