Sunday, August 03, 2008

Camp

We took Alex off to 4H camp today. She's so funny because, just like last year she was all, "Ok mom, get out of here now." She can be so independent...which I love about her, but at the same time she's only 10 and I'm not quite ready to be kicked out of her life yet. She is sharing a cabin with Caroline and Tessa and I'm sure they will all have a blast. Oh, to be a kid going off to sleep-away camp. Doesn't it sound fun? Campfires... silly songs... swimming... being in charge of yourself for a whole week (well, sort of). Hudson goes next week with a group of his friends. Ethan will be going to day camp at the same location starting tomorrow. He was on the waiting list for camp (because I was reluctant to sign him up... I didn't think he really wanted to go) and we found out last Monday that he got a spot.... Gabby's spot!! Because of Gabby's arm injury she can't go to camp. It is sort of like that story telling devise we used to use in elementary school called "Fortunately/Unfortunately".... Fortunately Ethan can go to camp. Unfortunately it is because Gabby hurt her arm and can't go. Fortunately they will have swimming lessons at camp. Unfortunately Ethan will probably freak out. Fortunately I won't be there to witness him freak out. Unfortunately for some poor teenager, they will... get the idea?

** 8pm update: Ethan just called me from Aunt Megan's house... he is spending the night there because she is going to take him and Dom to day camp tomorrow. (Cate arrives at a time that I cannot get Ethan to camp in time.) E is already freaking out about swimming. He was so flustered on the phone that I couldn't understand him. All I heard was "Mom!" “swimming!” and a shrill “life jacket!” before he hung up on me. I called back and talked with Megan. She was trying to convince him that he can touch in the shallow end, and got the tape measure out to prove it. And yes, at this point I am going to be of those mothers... I told her to tell him that they can't make him swim... poor kid, he's so petrified.

2 comments:

Maura said...

Camp sounds great!!! How about a camp just for moms... Instead of marshmellows, we will have beverages and campfires... Instead of sing alongs there will be live musicians that can really sing and instead of planned activities there will be lots of doing whatever we want...

Sarah said...

and pedicures!!