Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sadness....

It is hard to fathom losing your child.... I cannot even imagine being on the the receiving end of that terrible phone call or visit from a State Trooper. I just read about a woman who's son was in Iraq, and so when she saw the uniformed officer coming up her front front walk she just knew what horrifying reality he about to deliver to her.... so she refused to let him in her home. She figured, if I don't let him in he can't tell me the bad news and then it won't be real.



It won't be real.



But unfortunately it is real. It was real when Michael and Nancy had to bury Mary Therese, and it is real for the families of the five girls who just died right here in our town. On our road. I feel so horrible. I didn't know any of these girls, so obviously I don't feel as shattered as the people in Fairport.... but as a resident of the Town of East Bloomfield, I feel so bad for these families. I'll probably drive by the devastating site everyday, and see the charred fence and blackened road, and my heart will break for those parents all over again. As a steward of this town, I feel terrible that this happened under our watch.

No comments: